Users of Turton Leisure Centre have reacted angrily after being told that their local leisure centre is to close down at the end of the next financial year in April.
Bolton Council announced that the centre will close in order to save £600,000, along with Kearsley Community Centre and Withins Community Leisure Centre.
Suzanne Keeton, who goes to Turton Leisure every Sunday morning for the adult swim, and on Thursday evenings for keep fit classes said: “This isn’t good news. First it was the libraries and now it’s the leisure centres. What’s next? Turton has been here since I was little (I’m now 44) and if it closes it means I’ll have to travel to Sharples or Bolton Town Centre to come swimming, which I don’t want to do. There are lots of activities going on here so you’d think it would be profitable.”
Turton High School indicated that it wants to take over running the centre, but might not be able to continue running some facilities, such as the swimming pool.
The leisure centre has facilities such as circuit training, badminton, hockey, football, swimming lessons, gymnastics and trampoline lessons.
Our video shows some members of the leisure centre taking part in their various activities.
Users of the Leisure Centre all comment about how great they think it is.
Turton Leisure Centre also employs a large group of employees, including receptionists, lifeguards and fitness trainers.
Some members of the community are hoping to start a petition to stop Turton being shut down.

No comments:
Post a Comment